Saturday, August 30, 2008

The social and gaming contract

At this point, this is fluid. However, these are ground rules:

- I'm happy to host, whether or not I'm GMing. My home does have cats and is non-smoking; drinking is OK but not to the point of impairment, ESPECIALLY if intending to drive. There is limited parking nearby.
- There is no such thing as a lost die. Because I have cats, lost dice are a potential hazard, so any dice that leave the table must be retrieved. I will provide a tray for rolling dice in.
- We have chips and salsa. However, feel free to bring snacks, as long as you're OK with sharing.
- Politics stays away from the gaming table.
- Religion stays away from the gaming table.
- The GM's call is final in the event of rules disputes.
- If the GM's sucking rocks, he should be told.
- The GM is not out to defeat the players, nor are the players trying to beat the GM. We're cooperating in search of fun.
- I try to run rules-light. If the rules get in the way of the players being awesome, said rules will be told to go hang. Think of it as a Neutral Good style of GMing; I'll follow the rules or briefly suspend them as appropriate to make sure you get to do awesome things.
- Role-playing will be rewarded. Minmaxing probably won't.
- The players get to drive the story forward. If you go off chasing something I didn't expect, I'll do my utmost to hook it into the story.
- I like to be surprised.